Russell Ruminations

Tuesday 6 February 2007

The ww.church

The biggest problem that I have with church is that I don't get enough of it. Strange as it may seem!! Having 3 young children can make it difficult to get to sit through a sermon or spend time getting to know people at the end of the service. I help out with the children's work twice a month so this cuts down on the amount of time I can get to listen to a sermon. The thing with me is that I find it so easy to complain about things, but I have come to the conclusion that I get out of church what I put into it. What is it that I want from church? What is church to me? What are my expectations? What should church be?. I was thinking about this after chatting to a friend on the subject yesterday. Thanks Mrs. Wibbs !

Mums of young children know that time is always rushed, time to sit and be in God's presence, time to pray, time to worship can be crowded out from our daily lives if we allow it. I've been trying to find new ways of learning, growing, worshipping that fit in with my life and my circumstances and I've come to the conclusion that I need to make some changes to my lifestyle to allow time for the things that are important. If I don't want to grow stale in my relationship with God, then I need to do something about it. My passion is reading (oh ok and the t.v.!!) and if I'm honest then I spend too much time reading fiction and not enough on reading my bible. I have a list of jobs that I want to get done each day and usually by the end of the day I am too tired to read anything more intellectual than a trashy novel. Recently however things have changed. Why? I have discovered that there are so many excellent churches out there that have their sermons on-line. Just this morning I have spent a wonderful hour making delicious shortbread with my 3 year old daughter whilst listening to a fantastic sermon on the book of Peter, all about knowing your identity. The t.v. is being switched off more and more as hubby and I spend time listening to sermons together, challenging each other and having passionate discussions about the bible.

It may not be church in the traditional sense, but while I do need to be at home for long periods of time with babies and toddlers, I can use that time to become more grounded in the bible. Its also teaching my little ones a valuable lesson about taking responsibility for your own learning.

Sorry for such a long winded ramble this morning. I'm off to do some washing and listen to my next sermon.

2 Comments:

  • Absolutely one hundred percent agree with all that. PLUUUS: my whole notion of church has been expanded and challenged as I have started exploring blogs across the world. My church fellowship has suddenly taken on new significance and that leaves me feeling both excited and hopeful (and addicted, lol). The www.church is real, and it's out there, praise God!

    By Blogger MammaMayMiller, At 6 February 2007 at 17:32  

  • YAY!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8 February 2007 at 11:08  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home