Russell Ruminations

Tuesday 30 January 2007

Paradigm Shift

I was reading in the newspaper the other day that people sometimes have a pivotal moment that changes the course of their lives. Apparently sociologists like to call this a "paradigm shift". As I was reading the article I was racking my brains trying to think if I had ever experienced such a pivotal moment. Some profound moments came immediately to mind, the most obvious being when I became a Christian. Today I feel as though I really have experienced a "paradigm shift".

I was having an innocent chat with a friend when it became clear that she was at the exact same point that I was at several years ago. Making the same mistakes and going through the same pain. Immediately I was able to empathise, sympathise and pray in a profound way. That however wasn't the end of it. As I went away from our conversation to do some mundane work I turned on my cd player to listen to some worship songs as I folded the washing and felt God touch me in a way that I have never experienced before. The words "oh holy friend, I don't take what you give lightly; friendship instead of disgrace" came through the speakers and spoke right into the depths of my heart. Remembering some of the feelings that I felt all those years ago and realising that the shame (or perhaps feelings of failure, inadequacy) had been replaced by friendship offered by my saviour. Without realising I have come on such a long way and where there used to be despair there is now deep healing and doubtless more to come.

I'm sure that there is more to unfold in what I have experienced of God today but its hard to put down in words. All I can think about is the words that Mordecai spoke to Esther "who knows but that you have come to position for such a time as this". Who knows, perhaps I have come to where I am solely to pray for and encourage my friend. Bur in doing that, I truly feel that I have been brought to my knees in thanks for the place where I once was.

2 Comments:

  • God is good.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 30 January 2007 at 16:15  

  • Em.
    That is so moving...
    I love reading your ruminations my friend!
    And I can so identify with what you wrote here: God never allows us to go through anything for no reason; and if no other reason, then just that I can then comfort and walk alongside others who are going through similar stuff is reason enough for me.
    *hugs*

    By Blogger MammaMayMiller, At 4 February 2007 at 15:11  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home