Russell Ruminations

Saturday 27 January 2007

Recycle or Freecycle

My new year's resolution this year was to live more responsibly. I didn't know how that would pan out or what it would mean to be personally; but that was my desire for this year. To live responsibly in terms of our finances, our health, our children etc. With all the coverage in the news of "green issues" this month I've felt challenged about how I take care of our world. Last year my new years resolution was to recycle more. I can congratulate myself therefore on a year of composting and serious recycling. No, it isn't fun walking to the bottom of the garden in the rain/snow/sleet to put our vegetable peelings and used teabags into the compost bin, but I'm sure that our garden will enjoy the compost that we have lovingly (note the sarcasm) cultivated over the last 12 months. As for all of those plastic pots, papers, tins, glass etc. etc. that we have recycled; well I like to think that I'm on the right track. One idea I did come across last year was "freecycling". You have something you don't want or need anymore, so you advertise it and see if someone else wants it. Its a great idea. Rather than filling up our landfill spaces with items that can be reused by someone else, you simply ask the question "does anyone want it?". I've seen all sorts of things advertised on there from pushchairs, bikes & scooters to computer parts, children's clothes, furniture etc. The best thing of all is that if you do want something you see advertised, its free!! No money exchanges hands but it simply stops the landfill sites from being used up so quickly. You should try it!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home